Wednesday, May 7, 2008

FRENCH CORNER: A Little "Southern" Comfort in the City

When: May 4, 2008
What: Brunch
Where: French Corner
L102-L103 Westgate Center Commerce Avenue cor. Filinvest Ave, Alabang Muntinlupa City
Locsin Bldg, Makati Avenue, Makati City
Tel: (+632) 771.2345/ (+632) 771.2346


I've always enjoyed Chef Billy King's cooking. From the time I first had dinner at Le Souffle (while he was still partner at that restaurant), to the time I was served lunch at Le Chef at The Manor at Camp John Hay during that period when I was writing for a Weddings Magazine, Chef Billy King has never failed to produce something spectacular. I suggested French Corner for brunch with my family since I haven't eaten there in two years-- that plus my siblings have never really wandered off to Alabang, and this was a good enough reason for them to go.

Garlic Mushrooms. This was excellent. Has a nice spicy bite to each mushroom. I thoroughly enjoyed this appetizer and so did everyone else.

Tuna Tataki. Php 315 One of the specialties of French Corner, this seared tuna was very fresh. Other than it being fresh, I must say it fell short of my expectations. The seared edges were not crusty, which is what I think I would've preferred.

Caesar Salad the "Classic Way". Php 195 A family member ordered this. It tasted rather tart. I reckon too much lemon juice perhaps?

My favorite dish of the day was the Chilean Sea Bass. Php 925 It was perfection. Fresh, tasty, and not overcooked. This was a winner. Sauce consistency was likewise good. I'm not too sold on the pasta pairing but it does work somehow. The marriage of taste was certainly not smooth, but it was alright.

For mains, my husband ordered the red rice risotto, my brother ordered the steak. Mom went with the baby back ribs, while my sister- in- law also ordered the sea bass. All our kids shared 3 big pasta plates (pesto and carbonara).

Now for my favorite dessert, Chocolate Souffle. Php 195 A dessert that Chef Billy King is also known for. I hesitated to take the shot for a second or two and the souffle had somewhat deflated right when I took the shot. It was gooood.

Banana Caramel Souffle. Php 195 Another souffle that I love. I couldn't resist ordering two of the souffles. I ended up sharing this one with my children. One of them loved it, while the other one passed up on the opportunity to finish half my share.

The Bad News:BILL: Php 9,351.52 (as of May 5 $1/Php42.230 rate : US$221.45). No wine ordered with the meals.

4-1-1 on FRENCH CORNER:

SEATING CAPACITY: 120 Pax downstairs, 2nd floor another 120 pax
FOOD RATING: 2 stars (**)
AFFORDABILITY: $$ Affordable good food
AMBIANCE: 2 stars (**) Beautiful at night
SERVICE: 3 stars (***) Staff very helpful
WILL I GO BACK? Yes
NEXT TIME WILL TRY: Lamb Chops and More souffle!

1 comment:

Mr. Jack Follet said...

Mrs T, I love The French Corner! I found the Tuna Tataki yummy though I agree that it should have been more crusty on the edges. Oh, BTW, did you try The French Corner Pasta? It's divine.

French Corner is one of the good reasons why it's worthwhile to go to Alabang.

XOXO,
e