Sunday, May 4, 2008

SALA: One of the best restaurants in Manila

When: April 29, 2008
What: Dinner
Where: Sala Makati
Locsin Bldg, Makati Avenue, Makati City
Tel: (+632) 750.1555


I have been to Sala a few months ago with my friends Daphne, April, and PJ, but I've never eaten there with my husband before. Since I was writing an article about intimate wedding venues for a glossy, I thought it would be perfect to revisit the restaurant and this time, write about it.

I had phoned Chef Carlo Miguel earlier to ask some questions about Sala Makati for the magazine, and during the course of our conversation, he mentioned he wasn't going to be in Sala that very night I was to have dinner. So I wondered how the meal would be without him at the kitchen.

Sala's main dining room seats about 40 people, and the place is great for dates and more "intimate" business lunches.
I ordered the beef carpaccio with caperberries, greens, doused with mustard vinaigrette. Php 460+I love this starter. I love carpaccio (beef or tuna) and the greens were fresh and crisp (not limp). The dressing was not too sour. It was actually perfect.

For my entree, the spiced duck breast (magret du canard) on a parsnip and potato hash with roast apples, red wine reduction. Php 980+
Another dish I've always loved, magret du canard. The coarse salt and pepper which was laid out on each table was put to use to this dish. I added a pinch or two of the coarse sea salt. It gave the dish a good salty edge. The duck was not fatty, and was very tender. This is the second time I've had this, and again, this dish wins marks for its consistency in excellence.

My husband had the veal. He loved it. I made a mental note to order this dish next time.

Panna Cotta. Php 340 This is the perfect meal ender. I've had panna cotta, but I've never known what "exquisite" panna cotta tasted like until I had this silky smooth and creamy Sala pannacotta. This is THE best panna cotta I've ever known. I'll always come back to Sala for this dessert. It's really heavenly!

The bad news:BILL: Php 2,970 (as of May 2 $1/Php42.345 rate : US$70.15 ). No wine ordered with the meal

Parting shot:

4-1-1 on SALA:

SEATING CAPACITY: 40-50 Pax
FOOD RATING: 3 stars (***)
AFFORDABILITY: $$$ Not cheap, but worth every pretty penny
AMBIANCE: 3 stars (***) Quite despite being in the heart of Makati
SERVICE: 3 stars (***) Staff very friendly
WILL I GO BACK? Definitely
NEXT TIME WILL TRY: The Veal.

2 comments:

Cyndy said...

Had a wonderful opportunity to visit Sala Bistro in Gbelt 4 last night. My seafood stew was not spectacular, neither is the grouper fish baked in parchment paper my colleague had.But despite that, I believe the thrill is in the discovery of new places to go.
Congratulations to you for launching another blogsite! I'm a fan of both the closet glutton and bag hag. I enjoy reading your posts, enough to have encouraged me to start my own blogsite. Nothing compared to yours of course, it's just small time:-)Thanks for the inspiration Mrs. T! Keep it coming.

Cyndy
www.discoverclandestine.com

The Closet Glutton said...

Thanks for reading, cyndy :)
It's indeed always fun to discover a "new" restaurant!

Take care and good luck blogging :)