Sunday, May 25, 2008

LAN ZHOU LA MIEN RESTAURANT: A cheap, pleasant eat!

When: May 22, 2008
What: Late Lunch
Where: Lan Zhou La Mien
819 Benavidez Street, Binondo Manila
Tel: (+632) 480-0732

Upon recommendation of Di and FredV, blogger ManilaFashionObserver and I decided to eat in this almost hole-in-the-wall joint along Benavidez Street in Binondo. It was a Binondo lunch date for me and blogger MFO, as we had previously made arrangements to do this little food trip downtown even before she came back to Manila from her new home, New York.

We didn't know the name of this restaurant because the couple who recommended it couldn't remember the name either :) But we had no trouble finding the place, after we were given directions and landmarks where this restaurant is located.It's called Lan Zhou La Mien (Lan Zhou Pulled Noodles). The place was brightly lit with fluorescent lights. Place was full when we got in about 1pm. All diners were Chinese-- they spoke Mandarin. We knew this would be a good place to eat. But again, this restaurant is not for everyone. If you've been so used to eating in Michelin- star decorated restaurants, you'd probably be a bit slighted at the cleanliness (or lack thereof) of the restaurant. But for MFO and I, we were not too bothered by the lack of ambiance. After all, we were here for the food!!

When I stared at the menu, I couldn't believe my eyes. Hand- pulled noodle soup for Php 80!! That's just about US$1.85 (conversion rate US$1/ Php 43.2) per bowl! There was a big covered plastic bowl which contained spring onions. This was the "condiment" we were to add to our noodle soup.

MFO and I both ordered the Beef La Mien.
The noodles were wonderful! I've never appreciated La Mien noodles before, so these are particularly pleasant to eat. A little bounce (al dente if we are to compare this to Italian noodles haha) was perfect. The soup stock was good too-- not too salty and there's a little hint of sweetness (I hope no MSG, though I still suspect a sprinkle or two of it). Meat was good, not dry.

The Menu:Cute spelling error-- ChicHen lamien :) I told you the noodles are cheap. Below Php 100 even!

MFO and I were extremely pleased with this little noodle place discovery of ours. I'm sharing this with you all in the hopes that you too, can pass by and lunch at this little noodle joint :) And don't forget to share your experience with me afterwards!

The 4-1-1 on LAN ZHOU LA MIEN:

SEATING CAPACITY: 25 Pax
FOOD RATING: 3 stars (***)
AFFORDABILITY: $ (Super Cheap!)
AMBIANCE: No need for ambiance for food this cheap and this good!
SERVICE: 3 stars (***) Staff very well trained
WILL I GO BACK? Yes.
NEXT TIME WILL TRY: Fried Dumplings

7 comments:

cd_mfo said...

Love the noodles! I'm definitely going back with the whole fam! Thanks for the tip Dina and for the Binondo tour Mrs. Jackie T!!! =)

BL said...

Love your foodie blog, Mrs T. Love, love it, love it. Enjoy reading your reviews esp. on hole in the wall places. :-)

Unknown said...

If you went there with a Fil-Chi, he/she would probably snicker at the name of the restaurant.

Also, I would recommend the fried chicken at Sincerity Restaurant on Nueva street, a few steps away from Binondo church!

Btw, great reviews! will keep coming back for more...food and reviews..

UnprettyKarla said...

big thanks to theclosetglutton... my husband and i visited this place just last saturday and we so enjoyed every minute of it :) we'll definitely be back.

timmeh said...

no more reviews? :(

Unknown said...

so good, always there every weekend...

Unknown said...

I always eat here.. Like today..